Monte Cristo sandwich

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 1 04:34:33 UTC 2000

    The Indiana Pacers just beat the New York Knicks.  Pacer Mark Jackson
gave his "cross" sign after scoring a basket.  He said it wasn't to counter
Larry Johnson's "L" sign--it was just to praise Jesus.
    Maybe Jesus can tell me if it's the Con-SEE-Co or Con-SAY-Co Arena.

MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH

     From John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK:

_Monte Cristo sandwich._  A sandwich composed of ham, chicken, and Swiss
cheese enclosed in bread that is dipped in beaten egg and fried until golden
brown.  The origin of the name is not known.

     From GOURMET, July 1968, pg. 53, col. 2:

Q: My husband is Danish and trained in restaurant work, and we have just
arrived in California from Copenhagen.  We were recently served a Monte
Cristo sandwich at a Los Angeles restaurant, and are most interested in
learning the recipe.  We have been given a subscription to your magazine and
are very pleased with the many fine features you have.
MRS. FLEMMING LINDBERG
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
A: Perhaps named after the Count, here is
     _Monte Cristo Sandwich_
     Butter a slice of white bread and cover it with sliced lean baked ham
and sliced cooked chicken.  Butter a second slice on both sides, place it on
the meat, and cover it with thinly sliced Swiss cheese.  Butter a third slice
and place it, buttered side down, over the cheese.  Trim away the crusts and
cut the sandwich in half.  Secure the halves with wooden picks, dip them in
beaten egg, and saute them in butter on both sides until they are golden
brown.  Remove the picks and serve the sandwich with currant jelly,
strawberry jam, or cranberry sauce.  Serves 1.

MONKEY TEARS

     Any relation to Monkey Bread?
     From the LOS ANGELES TIMES PRIZE COOK BOOK (1923), pg. 271, col. 1:

     _MONKEY TEARS_
     One cup sugar, four tablespoonfuls butter, one egg beat, mix well.
One-half cup sour milk, one scant teaspoon soda, dissolved in one tablespoon
of water and add to the sour milk.  Two and one-fourth cups of flour, add.
Drop small tablespoonfuls on greased pans about two inches apart.  Pat down
and place three large raisins in center of each.  (These are the tears.)
Bake in moderate oven.
--Mrs. P. G. Wiseman, Los Angeles.

BAKING BLIND

     From GOURMET, January 1965, pg. 24, col. 3:

     _In foreign recipes, what it meant by baking pies and tarts "blind"?_
     Baking "blind" means simply that the pie shells or tart shells are baked
separately, without a filling.

SPIZZAZ

     From 10,000 SNACKS (1937) by Cora, Rose, and Bob Brown, pg. 448:

     Beyond the citrus belt are the snake farms, and from there come smoked
rattlesnake tidbits that put the spizzaz in cocktail parties.

     The OED has 1937 for "pizzazz."

FOOD MISC.

THREE GRUNTS AND A SIGH--This pork dish is on page 132 of THE PALATISTS BOOK
OF COOKERY (Hollywood, Calif., 1933).

SNICKERDOODLES--Another sighting ("snicker doodles") is on page 91 of
SELECTED RECIPES (Falmouth Foreside, Maine; November 1929).  Yet another
sighting ("snickerdoodles") is on page 123 of LOOK BEFORE YOU COOK (1941) by
Rose and Bob Brown.

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH--MRS. WILLIAM VAUGHN MOODY'S COOK BOOK
(1931) has "White Bread, Entire Wheat Bread, Peanut Butter, Currant Jelly"
sandwich on pages 410-411.