Is ICJ at The Hague in the Netherlands? (off topic)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Jun 3 19:59:17 UTC 2000

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>     Maybe Fred Shapiro can answer this.
>     One of the questions on WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? a few hours ago
> was "In what country is the Lockerbie trial taking place?"  The "correct"
> answer was The Netherlands.  The trial is taking place at the International
> Court of Justice, at The Hague.
>     I visited there.  I was told that the ICJ is, technically, not in any
> country.  The land belongs to the United Nations.  The ICJ is NOT in The
> Netherlands.  True?
>     Did Regis blow another one?

Although the New York Times recently published an article about my
pointing out that Millionaire was incorrect on a question about the Grace
Murray Hopper bug myth, I was impressed during my day with the show by the
show's obvious concern with accuracy.  It appears to be the only TV game
show that admits errors.

Maybe it is possible for institutions or people to be imperfect without
being lousy or conspiratorial...

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2