Is ICJ at The Hague in the Netherlands?

Fri Jun 2 16:10:27 UTC 2000

As Bill Clinton would have rightly said, this is just a matter of what your
definition of "in" is.

There MAY be some arcane international-law meaning of "in" with respect to
ICJ and this particular trial, but The Hague is most definitely "in" The
Netherlands (according to AHD3, it is in fact the "de facto capital"), and
this particular trial is taking place "in" a courtroom that is located "in"
The Hague.

Tom Paikeday is right--any other interpretration of "in" here contradicts
common sense.

In a message dated 6/2/2000 5:15:46 AM, aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK writes:

<< on 2/6/00 7:47 AM, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> Maybe Fred Shapiro can answer this.
> One of the questions on WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? a few hours ago
> was "In what country is the Lockerbie trial taking place?"  The "correct"
> answer was The Netherlands.  The trial is taking place at the International
> Court of Justice, at The Hague.
> I visited there.  I was told that the ICJ is, technically, not in any
> country.  The land belongs to the United Nations.  The ICJ is NOT in The
> Netherlands.  True?
> Did Regis blow another one?
>

>From what I understand, Holland has ceded a tiny corner of its country to
Scotland (which used to be claimed by the US, I think).  That would be the
only way a Scottish court could, since you don't get English law in Scotland
nor Scots law in England or Wales.  Since Scots law prevails on that tiny
corner, and since Scottish police and British military are the only law
enforcement, *technically* the court is in Scotland.  Kind of like
embassies.

--Aaron >>