Shill Bidding

Frank Abate Abatefr at CS.COM
Thu Jun 8 19:43:10 UTC 2000

I can't speak for others, but in my lingo I refer to "transparent compounds" (e.g., *big dog*) vs. "idioms" (e.g., *big idea* in "What's the big idea?").  Yes, lexicographers don't enter transparent compounds, and do (try to) enter (in larger dicts, at least) idioms, but it is not always clear-cut when and how to do so.  Some expressions fall into a gray area (what about "big deal" or "big picture"?), and some quite common expressions ("in your dreams"; "duh"; "hel-LO-oo") are certainly lexical in content but somehow seem not to have entered dicts.

There is a distinction made by a French linguist (maybe someone out there knows who) between "idiome" (an idiom) and "idiotisme" (a way in which words are naturally put together according to the rules of the language, if learned and applied conventionally).  The idiomes are the things that dicts enter -- classic example, "kick the bucket".  The idiotismes are what practiced speakers of the language do when they use the syntactic rules of the language conventionally.  So the latter compounds are formally not lexical, though there are always examples where judgment may be needed to decide.  In the case of most dicts, the editorial judgment is usually influenced by the necessary constrictions of schedule and budget.

Frank Abate