vulgarities in silent films

Sun Jun 11 01:53:26 UTC 2000

In a message dated 6/10/2000 4:50:49 PM, robert-wachal at UIOWA.EDU writes:

<< >>
>>Can anyone point me to quotable sources and examples of the claim that
>>vulgarities were often uttered in silent films? >>

I don't know the anser to this question, but I do know that the translation
of foreign vulgarities in English subtitles can be weird and wonderful. For
example, I once saw a German film in which the German teenager said something
to his mother that literally meant something like "This shit car of mine." It
was translated into the English subtitles as "This fucking car of mine."