summer project-DARE pairs

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Fri Jun 23 22:22:16 UTC 2000

Natalie Maynor wrote:

> > 22. andiron/firedog
>
> I was surprised in a class last semester when I mentioned something
> about andirons and firedogs and *nobody* in the class had ever heard
> either term.
>    --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)

I was looking for andirons for my condo fireplace about 14 years ago in
Connecticut.  As the fireplace was shallow, I was very concerned with the length
of the andirons.  Someone advertised some used andirons in the company paper, so
I called her up and asked her how long they were.  She couldn't understand why
that made a difference so I told her how shallow my fireplace was.  Turned out
she had fireplace tools, and had no idea what an andiron was.