summer project-DARE pairs

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jun 27 16:34:52 UTC 2000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:

}Dale Coye writes:
}
}>>>>>
}When I do something similar with my students (who are 99% New Jerseyans) I
}ask them to chose someone from their own generation, parents generation, and
}grandparents-- all native New Jerseyans.    Changes are evident in some words
}(the increasing use of 'try and' vs. 'try to',  of the /ai/ pronunciation of
}either at the expense of /i:/ are particularly dramatic.
}<<<<<
}
}Would you clarify that last one? I have a hard time accepting "try" as
}homophonous with "tree".
}
}-- Mark A. Mandel
}

Perhaps that should read :
>>>of the /ai/ pronunciation of "either" <<<

--Aa

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                  Departments of English Language and
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron       Theoretical & Applied  Linguistics

"MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
        --Death