entertaining dialect

Karl Krahnke krahnke at LAMAR.ACNS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Wed Mar 1 19:37:12 UTC 2000

Like Herb, I grew up in SE Michigan (Wyandotte) and did not go away until after
a BA (U. of Mich.).  We used to go to the Waltz area for church stuff, and I
had relatives in Flat Rock.  I was born in 1941.  I have little evidence of
NCVS that I am aware of (in contrast to my older sister, who has stayed in the
Midwest), but, to my great surprise, I have recently become aware of Canadian
Raising in my own speech.  I was always sensitive to it in others (perception)
but did not think I did it.  I have no idea as to the conditions yet.

Are the studies published ones?

I have lived outside of the US or in the West for the last 30+ years.

Karl Krahnke
Colorado State University