second-person pronouns redux

GRADMA at UVVM.UVIC.CA GRADMA at UVVM.UVIC.CA
Wed Mar 1 23:22:09 UTC 2000

My son-in-law, who lives in Nanaimo, B.C. (about one-third of the way up
Vancouver Island) uses "...and them" with reference to one person named and
one or more others, e.g. "Gordie 'n' them." I don't recall ever hearing it
before he joined our family, but he's born and bred Nanaimo and the rest of
us are Victoria (well, I came here from Ontario, but I've lived here since
1961). When I first heard it, I thought it was idiosyncratic, but apparently
it's not.

Barbara Harris