Nun Bellies & Angel Tits

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 3 23:40:39 UTC 2000

   Greetings again from Porto--supposedly the only city that has given its name to a wine, a country, and a language...I just had three glasses of W & J Graham's port (tastings).
  I thought "Tatti Frutti" was interesting to record. I didn't have time to compare all of the citations, but I believe that the "tutti-frutti" VANILLA ICE CREAM FLAVOR is from the 1870s, while "tutti frutti" itself is from 1834.
  That "had the never" should have read "had the nerve."  Mike doesn't remember Barbra Streisand's "Second Hand Rose"?  The radio station I used to listen to ("The home of Broadway standards" that was kicked off the air by Radio Disney) played it at least once a week.  Nu?

EUROPE'S BEST-KEPT SECRET: AN INSIDER'S VIEW OF PORTUGAL
by Sar Perlman and Virginia Costa Matos (1997)

Chapter 13, pg. 179, "Nun Bellies" or "Angel Tits"?

Pg. 181:  "Those desserts which were created in the convents," Gina gained control of the discussion again, "are known as _doces conventuais_ and _doces de ovos_ (FOOTNOTE: desserts made mainly with eggs).  Many of these were given rather 'holy' names, some of which were rather strange."
   "Such as what?"
   "_Barrigas de freira_ (FOOTNOTE: 'Nuns bellies'), for example," she suggested.  "This is a cake made of a fluffy mixture of egg yolks and sugar, shaped like a loaf of bread.  The servings are cut much like bread slices and are usually topped with sweet syrup."
   "Or _papos de anjos_ (FOOTNOTE: 'Angel tits')," Ivone added.  "These look like sweet muffins but with flat tops and are also made of cooked egg yolks and served with a sugar syrup."
   "And _toucinho do ceu_," added Maria Luisa.  _Toucinho do ceu_ means 'heaven's bacon'--obviously not a name originated by the Jews.  "Heaven's bacon is a round cake made of a mixture of almon paste, eggs and sugar," she explained.

Pg. 188:  It was my first encounter with _baba de camelo_.  I learned the meaning of its name "camel's drool," only after I had ordered it...  It was a slightly foam-flecked mousse-like concoction, with a light beige color. (...) Made out of condensed milk, eggs and crumbled biscuits, it was thicker and denser than a regular mousse in composition but its taste was rather light.

(Compare these entries with Martha Barnett's LADYFINGERS AND NUN'S TUMMIES, a book I've completely destroyed by now--ed.)