Second-hand Second Hand Rose

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Sat Mar 4 15:01:53 UTC 2000

On Saturday, March 4, 2000, Mike Salovesh <t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU> wrote:
>Mike Salovesh wrote:
>
>> Of course, I come by my knowledge of the 1920s second-hand myself.  I'm
>> a 1930s Depression baby.  The first thing that comes to my mind when I
>> hear Fanny Brice's name is the voice of the little girl on the Great
>> Guildersleeve radio show.
>
>Ooops!  Well, I blew that one.  I meant "Fibber McGee and Molly", not
>the "Great Guildersleeve", when I said that Fanny Brice's voice was
>regularly featured on a weekly radio show.

Jim and Marian Jordan played the title roles in "Fibber McGee and Molly" in which
there was also a character called "Little Girl." She was voiced by Marian who always
left the room, if you'll notice, before Little Girl took the mic, Mike. Guildersleeve
was a character on the show and went on to have a spin-off.

Fanny Brice played Baby Snooks on a separate program called "Baby Snooks and Daddy."

All subject to the laws of If I Remember Correctly, of course.

--
Grant Barrett
gbarrett at americandialect.org