hubba-hubba

Daniel Long dlong at BCOMP.METRO-U.AC.JP
Tue Mar 7 02:29:05 UTC 2000

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>   I have an earlier hubba-hubba, and I traced habba-habba to 1915.

Oh Barry, you ARE a tease.  Tell me more, tell me more.
Danny

P.S. Someone sent me this.   A Chinese origin sounds possible
considering and the early users (US soldiers) and the timing (consider
gung-ho), although the phonology of hao pu hao seems all wrong.   I
don't even understand the second theory.   (Why would fishermen be
_warned_ of fish?)

--
Daniel Long, Associate Professor     tel  +81-426-77-2184
Japanese Language and Literature Dept.    fax  +81-426-77-2140
mailto:dlong at bcomp.metro-u.ac.jp
http://nihongo.human.metro-u.ac.jp/long/