hubba-hubba

Andrew J. Moody amoody at ASU.AASA.AC.JP
Tue Mar 7 03:26:51 UTC 2000

> > Supposedly it is a corruption of the
> > familiar Chinese greeting HOW_PU_HOW.

Just a guess here, but it looks like the Chinese expression the author is
referring to is (in pinyin) "hao bu hao," which is a question meaning "is it
good or not" or "how do you like it." Literally it is "good not good." It is
not usually a greeting, as far as I know. The familiar greeting in Chinese
is "ni hao " or "ni hao ma" ("hao" is the same character in all these
expressions.

Andrew
Andrew J. Moody
Associate Professor of Linguistics