cacha?a and OFF TOPIC

Alice Faber faber at POP.HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 8 04:12:41 UTC 2000

A. Vine wrote:
>Alice Faber wrote:
>>

>> Well, I'm using a Mac, and I can type the ç (c-cedilla) correctly, but once
>> they get filtered through a computer that can't deal with such symbols,
>> they revert to question marks.
>
>But can you see the c-cedilla from the prior message correctly?

No.

>> We've been going through this discussion on another mailing list I'm on,
>> but about £ (British pound symbol); it's the same problem, of course. Both
>> symbols look fine as I type them. It'll be interesting to see how they get
>> trashed and where.
>
>My suspicion is that there is a proprietary Mac character being used,
>instead of
>an ISO-8859-1 character.  I have no problem typing c-cedilla or i-acute,
>observe:
>
>français
>verosímile

Mine are still visible, as are yours. But the original ones turned into
"?", both in the header (understandable if that goes 7-bit) and the message
bodies (less understandable).

I was getting the same effect on my shell account, where the headers made
it clear that I had the right character set (ISO-8859-1). The only thing I
can find in Eudora-Light Settings is "may use Quoted-Printable" which I'm
sure isn't *quite* the same thing.

On the other list, we decided that if you use any 8-bit characters, bad
things will happen to at least some readers.

Alice Faber