Poor Boys

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 17 02:16:34 UTC 2000

"I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me."
--Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody" (or maybe it's Fanny Brice?)

   OED has "poor boy (sandwich)" from the February 1952 New Orleans Item.
   I was looking through GOOD HOUSEKEEPING, October 1940, "Five Plans for October Parties," pg. 126, col. 2, looking for Halloween trick-or-treat:

    You'll like this party, which was borrowed and adapted from New Orleans.  First serve the "Poor Boy" Sandwiches, with coffee.  (...) To make "Poor Boy" Sandwiches, split and butter large frankfurter rolls.  Use 2 or 3 kinds of cold or hot fillings in each roll, placing them side by side across the roll.  For hot fillings, use hot hamburger patties, grilled frankfurters, hot baked ham, hot baked beans, scrambled eggs, etc.  For cold fillings, use cold meats or sandwich spreads, a deviled-egg mixture, spreading cheeses, etc.

  Supposedly, the sandwich began in 1921 (so I can do better).  I don't know what DARE has because they, uh, stopped at "O."