Poor Boys --> sandwiches

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 22 14:33:44 UTC 2000

>Robert Kelley said:
>> The Greeks BTW did not say gyro sandwiches, just gyros.  They're not in
>> fact sandwiches -- though they are long, and do fold...
>
>On the other side of the Atlantic (or at least here in southern England)
>"sandwich" only refers to things on sliced bread.  If it's on a roll, then
>it's a
>"roll" (a tuna roll, ham roll, etc.--not to be confused with sausage
>rolls, which
>are another thing completely).  If it's on a ciabatta, then it's a
>"ciabatta", if
>it's on a baguette, then it's a "baguette" (you get the picture).  And if
>it's on
>a "bap", then it's a "bap"--a bap is something Americans would call a
>roll--more
>like a hamburger bun--i.e., soft and round.

Curiously, while gyros are often classed as sandwiches on this side of the
pond (although I believe with equal frequency as just gyros), the luncheon
success story of the 90's (I'm not sure if the wave has crested yet) is the
WRAP, whose outer layer is essentially a flour tortilla, and wraps are not
generally assimilated to sandwiches.  In many restaurants you can decide
between a chicken salad sandwich (which may come on a roll or on bread,
including stuffed into pita bread) OR a chicken salad wrap (rolled up in a
tortilla).  If you want to roll your own, the supermarkets sell both
"tortillas" and "wraps", the latter being upscale flour tortillas:  they're
more expensive, they're sold in the bread aisles rather than from the
cooler, and they tend to contain exotic ingredients such as sun-dried
tomatoes.  You'd think if restaurants distinguish "sandwiches" and "wraps",
gyros would count as "folds", but nooooo...

larry