D"oner kebap

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Sat Mar 25 08:12:54 UTC 2000

In Turkish, final voiced stops are devoiced, as in German, producing
morphophemic alternations whenever a vowel suffix occurs, e.g. at ~ adi.
However, Turkish uses strictly phonemic spelling, not morphophonemic like
German, so a stem-final /b/, which becomes /p/ if word-final, is spelled
with a <p> in word-final position, but as a /b/ word-internally before a
vowel. Ergo, /kebap/ is spelled <kebap>, but /kebabIm/ "my kebab" is
spelled <kepabIm> (I here is "undotted i", a mid high vowel).
        D"oner kebap is made with ground hamburger meat (actually usually
lamb in Turkey), and is contrasted with shish kebap, which is made with
chunks of meat. Both are cooked on a skewer.

Rudy