boilermakers and depth charges

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Mar 31 19:31:08 UTC 2000

> From:         "A. Maberry" <maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Jerome Foster wrote:
>
> > Then what's a boilermaker?
> >

> Sorry.
> A boilermaker is simply a shot of blended whiskey or bourbon and a
> glass/mug of beer.
> At least that's what I'm familiar with.

The distinction b/w a boilermaker and a depth charge is that a
boilermaker is a shot of whiskey _and_ a beer (whiskey first, then
beer), whereas a depth charge is a shot of whiskey _in_ a beer.

In my dorm there was some sort of ritual about dropping the shot glass
into the beer, and then chugging the whole thing just before the shot
glass hit the bottom of the mug.  Or some such thing.  I didn't drink at
the time, so I never quite got the rules.

Other swilling lingo from college days:

round robin party - every dorm room makes something to drink (the room
across from mine always did depth charges, we always did sangria) and
everyone troops from room to room having a drink in each room, until
general puking ensues.  not pretty.

packy run (but particular to Massachusetts and nearby areas) - trip to
the liquor store, usually in which a whole load of people get into a car
and go out so that the one person with an ID can buy them all cases of
beer

Hi Bob - drinking game in which each participant either drinks a shot or
chugs a beer everytime someone says "hi Bob" on the Bob Newhart Show.
Since Bob often walked into crowded rooms (group therapy and the like) I
(as the nondrinker) got to be scorekeeper and let people know how many
shots they had to do. Last one conscious wins.  Of course, there are
many variants on this, depending on what's being rerun on TV at the
time.  We also had seasonal variations for Charlie Brown holiday
specials.

Hey Mike - game played on packy runs.  Get a car full of people, and
every time you drive by a group of men, everybody yells "HEY -- MIKE!"
and waves enthusiastically.  In Mass in the 80s, there would always be
someone waving back.  The loser is the sucker waving back.  These days,
they probably have to play "Hey, Dylan" or some such thing.  (Or in
Texas "Hey Travis")

I'm trying to remember what we called the "punch" made out of grape
koolaid and everclear.

I'm really procrastinating tonight,
Lynne