half und half

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 9 17:40:53 UTC 2000

My understanding is that a black and tan would be a(n Irish) hyponym of a
half and half, and is restricted in the way Lynne describes.  If it's half
Guiness stout and half Harp lager, it's a black and tan as well as a half
and half; if it's light and dark Beck's it's only the latter.  It's 90
degrees as I write this and I'd settle for either.  Or for just a half.

larry