half und half

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Wed May 10 12:24:48 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: half und half

>My understanding is that a black and tan would be a(n Irish) hyponym of a
>half and half, and is restricted in the way Lynne describes.  If it's half
>Guiness stout and half Harp lager, it's a black and tan as well as a half
>and half; if it's light and dark Beck's it's only the latter.  It's 90
>degrees as I write this and I'd settle for either.  Or for just a half.

I understand the canonical black and tan to be Guinness Stout+Bass Ale, and
the general form being restricted to a stout&ale combo, with the copper of
ales being closer to tan than the pale yellows of lagers.

But I'm certainly open to correction.

Other fun entries in the half beer beverage list:

Snakebite (UK): half lager, half (hard) cider. (my personal choice is
Guinness Harp, but American macrobrew Pilsners do nicely as well)
Ratler (DE): half beer (unsure of restrictions), half 7UP.
Shandy (UK): less than half beer, topped off with lemon-lime soda.

bkd