Black and tan; shandy

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Wed May 10 17:30:59 UTC 2000

Bruce Dykes wrote:

> [...]

When I was in college, a "snakebite" was something like a shot of Yukon Jack and
a lime, or with lime juice.

> >>Ratler (DE): half beer (unsure of restrictions), half 7UP.
> >>Shandy (UK): less than half beer, topped off with lemon-lime soda.
> >>
> >often described as half lemonade, but that presupposes English lemonade,
> >which is somewhat closer to lemon-lime soda than to U.S. style lemonade.
>
> Yes, English lemonade (Italian limonata, Deutsche Limonade)=lemon lime soda

Actually, some English use the term "lemonade" for "soda" in general.  The most
popular soda is a lemon-lime flavor, but I don't think the term exclusively
means that.  I think that doubles for German "Limonade" = "soda", but I'm not
sure about Italian.

Andrea
--
Andrea Vine, avine at eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect
"The complementarity of priority information actions will reinforce