Black and tan; shandy

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Thu May 11 08:14:04 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron E. Drews <aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2000 5:18 PM
Subject: Re: Black and tan; shandy

>"soda" (water and carbon dioxide, no flavors) is called "soda" here.  If
you
>want a scotch and soda for example, you won't get a whisky and lemonade.

And seltzer or club soda here in the US. And if you walk into a bar here and
ask for a scotch and soda, they'll use seltzer.

My local supermarket has Canada Dry (I'm pretty sure it's them...) bottled
seltzer right next to Canada Dry bottled club soda. For the same price.
Which is equal to their flavored soda price. The cheap stuff I buy is
seltzer (they don't make flavored sodas, just seltzer), while the store
branded stuff right next to it is club soda.

So, is the seltzer/club soda distinction technical or linguistic? I've fired
off an email to Schweppes NA asking them if there's a difference between
bottled seltzer and bottled club soda. The Canada Dry site didn't have any
feedback address, just an entry form for a sweepstakes. If Schweppes doesn't
have an answer for me, I may wind up shooting that at Cecil...

bkd