Low back vowel, [ ] vs / /

Herb Stahlke HSTAHLKE at GW.BSU.EDU
Tue May 30 19:56:38 UTC 2000

I'm not southern, unless you extend that to south of Detroit, but I have two different vowels in "above," which I've usually transcribe as [@b^v], but that's using the old IPA.  See the chart on p. 198 of the second edition of Ladefoged's A Course in Phonetics.  That symbol has been replaced by the inverted-a, and [^] is now the lower mid back vowel found in some southern dialects, a vowel I don't have.  But this only changes the terms of the debate.  [@] and /inverted-a/ still have to be kept distinct for northern and midwestern English.

Herb Stahlke

>>> Dfcoye at AOL.COM 05/30/00 12:19PM >>>
In a message dated 05/29/2000 5:57:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,