Heavens to Betsy

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Nov 2 01:29:06 UTC 2000

    Here is some speculation on "Heavens to Betsy":

(1) It's necessary to bear "Goodness gracious me" in mind when trying to
figure out the origin of "Heavens to Betsy."  "Goodness gracious me" is
probably elliptical for "May Goodness be gracious to me," where "Goodness"
is used in place of "God."

(2)   Similarly, "Heavens to Betsy" may be seen as elliptical for "May the
heavens be gracious to Betsy."

(3) I was therefore wondering who the original "Betsy" could have been who
is referred to in "Heaven to Betsy."  Along came Jan Ivarsson's Nov. 1,
2000 helpful message mentioning Betsy Ross.  Is there supportive evidence
anywhere for his suggestion? Are there any other possible candidates?

------Gerald Cohen

gcohen at umr.edu