Gone and V-ed

P2052 at AOL.COM P2052 at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 8 18:49:40 UTC 2000

Also a native Alabamian (living in Montgomery for over 2 decades), I've heard
"hauled off and V-ed" used only in cases of outrage over some devastating or
forceful action, such as hitting, slapping, kicking, biting.  Thus, I would
interpret "hauled off and V-ed" as not only expressing contempt for or
outrage over the action but also capturing the initiation of the act -- that
is, the actor's preparing to perform the action (e.g., positioning the hand
or foot to effect desired degree of impact).        PAT