Greetings from the CIA!

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 13 14:51:38 UTC 2000

   Greetings from the Culinary Institute of America.  What a lovely setting
up here.  Now, what the heck am I gonna have for lunch?

COCKTAIL AND WINE DIGEST
by Oscar Haimo
privately printed, 1943, 1944, 1945, 1946

Pg. 71--Mojito Highball.
Pg. 71--Moscow Mule.
2 oz. Vodka
1 split Ginger Beer
        Crushed Ice
        _Serve in mug_
        _Decorate with sprigs of mint_
Pg. 83--Red Snapper Cocktail.
1 1/2 oz. Tomato Juice
3 dashes lime juice
1 dash L&P Sauce
1 1/2 oz. Vodka
   _Salt, pepper and red pepper to taste_
   _Shake well_
   _Serve in Delmonico glass_

COCKTAIL AND WINE DIGEST
by Oscar Haimo
(privately printed) 1943, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951,
1952, 1953

Pg. 37--Bloody Mary Cocktail.  Same as Red Snapper Cocktail.  See page 83.

CROSBY GAIGE'S
COCKTAIL GUIDE AND LADIES' COMPANION
M Barrows and Company, NY, 1941

Pg. 56--_GASTON LAURYSSEN_
   Mr. Lauryssen, as host at the St. Regis, has made that hotel an exemplar
of excellence and subdued but authentic excellence.
Pg. 57--Old King Cole presides with pleasantly vacuous hospitality over the
bar from which Mr. Lauryssen sends me two recipies from Queen Cole's
household book.
   _Red Snapper_
   2 oz. Tomato Juice
   2. oz. Vodka
   1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
   1 pinch Salt
   1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
   1 dash Lemon Juice
   Shake well with ice and serve in a Delmonico glass.

(Here lies our "Bloody Mary" puzzle.  Neither the Bloody Mary nor the Red
Snapper is mentioned in any of the very numerous 1930s drink books that
followed the end of Prohibition.  This, in 1941, is the first Red Snapper
that I've found.  Bloody Mary would appear in the 1946 STORK CLUB BAR BOOK
and the 1947 TRADER VIC'S drink book--ed.)

THE DRINKS OF YESTERYEAR
A MIXOLOGY
By Jere Sullivan
(Privately printed) 1930

   This is the rarest of rare book that I came for.  Unfortunately, there are
no etymologies.
   His bio on page 6 is interesting:

   The Author was for twenty years a "Wine Clerk." (...)
   This training and experience gave him currency as a qualified "Wine Clerk"
and opened to him, for expert's finesse, employment successively at a select
old Boston Club, a nationally known rendesvouz in Washington, a Broadway
Restaurant, two of the most fastidious hotel bars of New York City and
lastly, for years before The Drought, at a Yale world-famous hostelry in New
Haven, Connecticut. (...)
   The drinks of yesteryear hold memories for the Author which he wishes he
could convey.  For twenty years he smilingly served, as he relishes to state
it--All Men and Yale Men and All their Goodly Company, in Boston, Washington,
New York and New Haven... (...)  The Yale Professor--how good an old
fashioned cocktail or toddy seemed to him! (...)
   Pleasantest of all the Author's memories twine themselves around his
contact with Yale men.  He mixed and dispensed for a legion of them as
undergraduates, Alumni and Faculty members.  Their favorite drinks of
yesteryear will be found in this mixology with headnote allusions.  The
Copper Kettle Punch exclusively steeped in their traditions, herein finds its
first publication.  And while they staged their fling, he can truthfully
record there was no scandalizing condititions in attendance.  They drank
always as true Gentlemen and to his mind with lasting good to their
after-lives in terms of experience, disillusionment and above all, of
comeraderie and sublimated friendships.  Real, never snobbish, ever
democratic and generous to a fault, Sociability ruled them, and with a
"Here's to Good Old Yale, Drink'er Down!  Drink'er Down!" infused them for
aye with that spirit, proverbially incomparable--the Yale Spirit!

(Maybe the Yale archives has info on Jere Sullivan?--ed.)