Rap; Dis; Chad

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 20 03:37:49 UTC 2000

RAP (continued)

   I continued reading through the NEW YORK AMSTERDAM NEWS.

14 July 1979, NY AMSTERDAM NEWS, pg. 9, col. 1--_Rapping on the voter_.  (A
story about "Voter RAP," a registration awareness program in Harlem--ed.)

6 October 1979, NY AMSTERDAM NEWS, pg. 33, col. 3--_DJ Hollywood_ who feels
he's the original wrapper will be laying the track to a disco rap in the
studio this week.  I guess he feels it's about time he cashes in on a
tradition he espoused.  "Rapper's Delight" is becoming the fastest selling
(Col. 4--ed.) record to hit record shops in a long time.

20 October 1979, NY AMSTERDAM NEWS, pg. 34, col. 1:
_"Rap" disco record sweeps country_
By MINOR ROBERTS
   Take eight bars of a song that sold four million albums, three
fast-talking disc jockeys, then mix them together and what have you got?
Probably the fastest selling record in the history of the record industry.
   Sweeping the nation by storm, "Rapper's Delight" by an unknown trio called
the Sugar Hill Gang is the wonder of the record business.  In four short
weeks, its (sic) passed the million sales mark and veteran observers wouldn't
be surprised if it sold more than nine million before it runs out of steam.
   Taking the music of "Good Times" from the Chic album and putting the
voices of three deejays over it turned out to be a winning format for the
Sugar Hill record company in NMEW (?--ed.) Jersey.  In using only eight bars
of "good Times" which is (Col. 2) repeated throught the 17-minute, 12 inch
disc, the Black-owned firm avoided violating the copyright laws.
   The latter state that anyone can use up to eight bars of another's recoded
works without fear of a suit.  Going beyond that number can mean legal
trouble.
   Written by Sylvia Robinson (Photo in Col. 3--ed.), three motor-mouthed
disc jockeys "do their vocal thing" as they rhyme in double time on subjects
that strike a responsive chord with their teenage fans.
   To top it all off, young disc fans perform a dance they call the "Rap" as
the record spins.  Done in an offtime style, it involves making up your own
steps as one flings their arms, shakes their shoulders and throws in a
lowdown wiggle of their hips.
(...)

DIS, et al.

26 May 1979, NY AMSTERDAM NEWS, pg. 27, col. 1:
_About niggers, honkies and blips_
   "Honkies is a blip," said Simple.
(Col. 6--ed.)
   "That word, _blip_--you got me there.  If I knew what it meant, I've
forgotten," said the bartender.  "Blip," said Simple, "is what you say
because the word that honkies really is, is too terrible, the devil himself
is shamed to say it."

30 June 1979, NY AMSTERDAM NEWS, pg. 33, col. 1--From the first cut to the
last, you will be taken on an exciting Musical tour.  _"This Group Is
Bad"_--and I do mean BAD!
(Actually, the writer means "good"--ed.)

30 June 1979, NY AMSTERDAM NEWS, pg. 34, col. 1:
_Tony Brown digs into "crossover music"_
(Col. 3--ed.)
   "Disco's the name, but crossover's the game.  Crossover is a marketing
term used to describe music that finds acceptance--meaning sales--in its own
cultural or social segment and then finds acceptance--and sales--among
another social group, and, so to speak, crosses over."

7 July 1979, NEW YORK AMSTERDAM NEWS, pg. 28 headline--_Dis-service
stations_.
(Peter Noel wrote the text.  E-mail him at the Village Voice if he had meant
"dis" in 1979.  HDAS has 1982--ed.)

28 July 1979, NY AMSTERDAM NEWS, pg. 28, col. 4--As everyone "partied hearty"
at New York, New York...

29 September 1979, AMSTERDAM NEWS, pg. 34, cols. 3-6:
_Filmmaker documents urban jargon_
(Robert Gardner's "Clarence: An Angel--ed.)
(Col.5--ed.)
   "The Black and Hispanic kids all related to the film (Col. 6--ed.) and
just fell out laughing, because it was part of their experience.  They knew
what 'ranking' and 'snapping' on someone meant.  The white professors, just
like many film programmers, had a cultural block to the film."

29 September 1979, NY AMSTERDAM NEWS, pg. 37, col. 4--_Van Jay_, another jock
on WBLS with an enticing and inviting voice, now, too, refers to Vaughn as
the man with the x-rated voice--the term I (Marie Moore--ed.) coined to
describe the air personality who upsets the women wherever he goes.

12 December 1981, NY AMSTERDAM NEWS, pg. 31, cols. 4-6 headline--_Prince
rules supreme in sex-citement_.

CHAD (continued)

   The Word Detective talks about "chad" and more...There's a good "Double
Dutch" in DARE.