"Don't block the box"

Steve K. stevek at SHORE.NET
Wed Nov 29 18:49:52 UTC 2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Frank Abate wrote:

> Is this expression used in other US cities?  Is "the box" in the sense
> of 'intersection' used in expressions aside from this context?

In Boston, not currently; but in recent weeks, there have been letters to
the editor of the Boston Globe exhorting Boston to adopt the 'don't block
the box' rules of New York City, to help keep traffic flowing
here. Lord knows we can use all the help we can get.

So, yes, I've seen it, but in a New York City context. Hopefully it will
get adopted here.

--- Steve K.