Hell Drawer

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 3 13:38:46 UTC 2000

   Greetings again from Sinaia.
   Bran Castle is disappointing.  First, you're told that Dracula didn't own it.  Then, you're told that Dracula didn't even visit there.  Then--and this is the killer--you're told that "Buffy is not here, either."

HELL DRAWER

   There are plenty of tacky gifts opportunities outside of Bran Castle.  One woman said that something was good for her "hell drawer."  She said that a "hell drawer" is for stuff where you say to yourself: "Why the hell did I buy this?"
   She said that she had first heard it from an Italian guide.

THINK PINK

   "California Free Thinking" is here.  It's some climbing group that began in Yosemite a while ago.  I don't know if they accept pink dollars.

WHINGEING

   FYI "whingeing."
   Below a picture of Vlad the Impaler in the Romanian guide book (LONELY PLANET) is "Can't I even enjoy my meal in peace without you lot whingeing?"

SAFIRE (continued)

   I'm madder than ever.
   Honestly, Gerald Cohen is far too kind.  It's been eight years.
   The New York Times corrects the spelling of a person's name immediately, but my name took four years. John J. Fitz Gerald hasn't complained yet (he's dead).  Doing this to a dead person's name and words is gutless.
   I have not been contacted and will assume that my letter to the editor (about my own words) will not be printed this Sunday, either.
   Any other suggestions?