Safire

Paul Frank paulfrank at WANADOO.FR
Tue Oct 3 14:02:14 UTC 2000

From: <Bapopik at AOL.COM>
> SAFIRE (continued)
>    I'm madder than ever.
>    Honestly, Gerald Cohen is far too kind.  It's been eight years.
>    The New York Times corrects the spelling of a person's name
immediately, but my name took four years. John J. Fitz Gerald hasn't
complained yet (he's dead).  Doing this to a dead person's name and words is
gutless.
>    I have not been contacted and will assume that my letter to the editor
(about my own words) will not be printed this Sunday, either.
>    Any other suggestions?

I hope I'm not stirring up a hornets' nest by asking, but what is your
problem with William Safire? I can't stand the man's politics, but as a
layman, I find his language column to be informative and entertaining. He
often makes mistakes, but he admits as much just (or almost) as often. Is
Safire guilty of a big linguistic crime of commission or omission?

Paul
Paul Frank
Business, financial and legal translation
>From Chinese, German, French,  Spanish,
Italian, Dutch and Portuguese into English
Thollon-les-Memises, 74500 Evian, France
paulfrank at wanadoo.fr or franktranslation at aol.com