NY Times, Tribune, Morning Telegraph, Graphic

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 7 15:38:29 UTC 2000

NEW YORK TIMES

   My letter to the editor (about my words) has not been published.

NEW YORK TRIBUNE

   David Shulman told me (although I had known) about a hand-written index.  There are indexes to the Tribune and the Herald, but for just a few of the years.  These are newspapers that should be on the Making of America database.
   I searched all existing New York Tribune indexes for "slang" and other items.  The theater article looks familiar.  It's a good one.

NEW YORK MORNING TELEGRAPH (missing volumes)

   The missing NY Morning Telegraph volumes will probably not be found.  I tried looking for it, also, many years ago.  I had wanted to look for such vaudeville terms as "big time" and "hokum."  "Great White Way" also began at the NY Morning Telegraph.

NEW YORK EVENING GRAPHIC (missing volumes)

   Although I seem to have struck out finding the missing volumes of the New York Evening Graphic, there's another way to track down the missing Walter Winchell columns.
   Bernarr McFadden also owned about TWENTY other newspapers (besides the NEW YORK GRAPHIC).  His bio didn't give the titles and dates.  However, one popular newspaper of McFadden Publications was based in Philadelphia.
   If we can track this down, it might have Winchell's 1920s columns!