missing word: mullet -- MORE!

Jessie Emerson jessie at SIRSI.COM
Mon Oct 9 15:31:23 UTC 2000

Doug Wilson says:

> I have seen mullets on men since about 1970. I never knew the name; I
don't know whether there was a name in the 1970's. I think this began as a
 blue-collar version of long 'hippie' hair; the distinction between the
(shorter-haired of the) male hippies in an anti-Vietnam-War rally and the
 longer-haired of the construction workers jeering at the rally in the early
1970's was (IIRC) that the workers' hair did not fall onto their faces.

A version of the cut with a very long back was made "cool" again in the
early '80s by U2's Bono.  It was after this time that I started seeing it
appear on the heads of the "Camaro-driving" set.

Jessie Emerson