Mish-Mash (Bulgarian Food, continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 8 15:40:13 UTC 2000

   Greetings from somewhere in Bulgaria.
   I went through the Valley of the Roses today.  I told the Eastern European guides that we should all "stop and smell the roses."  No one knew what that meant, so I told them that they should "wake up and smell the coffee."

"LIKE ICE CREAM WITH GARLIC"--We had ice cream last night.  The Bulgarian guide says that this phrase is used for something disgusting.  He said that someone from Western Europe coined it.

RENNAISSANCE TAVERN, ETHNOGRAPHIC OPEN AIR MUSEUM
   Some stuff.  The explanations are those from the English menu:

SNEZHANKA--diced cucumbers with yoghurt (salad)
CHICKEN KOURBAN SOUP
TARATOR--cold yoghurt and cucumber soup
BOB CHORBA--bean soup
SARMI--stuffed wine leaves
KACHAMAK--dish of maize meal
MISH-MASH--peppers, tomatoes, onion, cheese, crumbled eggs (Crumbled=scrambled?  My guide said that this is a national dish, but the restaurants don't serve it well.  OED?--ed.)
BYUREK PEPPER--fried pepper with egg and cheese
"COCK-CRUSH" (I don't know what this is, but I don't like the sound of it--ed.)
KYUFTE--grilled meat ball
KARNACKE--grilled sausage
SOUDZOUK--sausage
LOUKANKA--sausage
KASHKAVAL--"yellow" cheese
KADAIF--pastry with syrup
PARLENITZA--freshly baked bread
BUFFALO YOGHURT
AYRAN--youghurt drink
BULGAIRAN MASTIKA (anisette)

BOZA--an Albanian beer made from flour, with a low alcohol content.  Served at the museum.
BONITZA--rolled dough filled with white cheese.