tumeric/turmeric

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Thu Oct 12 18:42:53 UTC 2000

Is "tumeric," pronounced (TUE.muh.ric), common in spoken English?

I haven't checked any databases of edited written English (my other
computer is down anyway) since editors generally are more literate than
that.

I saw this "tumeric" yesterday on a handwritten label in a supermarket
display of spices and was about to dismiss it as just another
illiteracy, but a young woman by my side (age 31, speaks only English,
college educated, and a good cook) said that's the way she has always
known and said the word. Later, when I showed her "turmeric" in
America's most popular dictionary, she seemed unconcerned!

I'd like some evidence from spoken English to reassure her the next time
she visits that the word has indeed undergone or is undergoing
linguistic change and that she is on the cutting edge. Or is she?

That reminds me of the radio announcer in Lindsay, Ontario, (back in
1965) who was repeatedly saying "Toronto Sympathy Orchestra"! Of course,
he was not on the cutting edge of any linguistic change, but just
substandard, I guess.

Thanks for comments.

Tom Paikeday.