Subway Series (continued)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Oct 15 05:40:20 UTC 2000

At 12:03 PM +0800 10/15/00, Laurence Horn wrote:
>...and the St. Louis Cards
>beat the St. Louis Browns [who are now the Baltimore Orioles] in the
>Series of 1944, which some purists dismiss as one of those diluted
>war-years seasons.  As far as I know, neither of these series was
>nicknamed after the local transportation system in Chicago or St.
>Louis respectively.)

P.S.  In rereading this, it occurs to me that the Cardinals-Browns
series may well have been referred to as a Trolley Series or
something of the sort, but that would have been AFTER the first
so-called Subway Series.  Of course the NYC-internal version had the
advantages of both alliteration and repetition.