Subway Series (continued)

Grant Barrett gbarrett at MONICKELS.COM
Mon Oct 16 07:47:48 UTC 2000

On dimanche 15 octobre 2000 06:03, Laurence Horn
<laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:

>Well, yes, and the St. Louis Cardinals - Kansas City Royals
series in
>1985 (highest rated on TV of all time, for some reason no one
can
>fathom) was the I-70 series,

The New York Times had an article yesterday that gives a hint to
the television ratings. "More than half a century ago, when St.
Louis was the westernmost city in the major leagues, the
Cardinals' radio station, KMOX, reached listeners all over the Deep
South, the Southwest and the Rocky Mountains. That network built a fan
following that still exists. People drive hours to attend games
at Busch Stadium. When an Illinois woman once mentioned her
three-hour drive to St. Louis, a young man smiled and said, 'How about
14 from Denver?'"

KMOX was (is?) a "clear-channel" station,  meaning KMOX was the
only station in the country to broadcast on that frequency, 1120
kHz at 50,000 watts of power, if I remember correctly. At night,
then the infamous mediumwave "skip" (the signal bouncing off the
E layer of the atmosphere) would allow the signal to be heard at
great distances without interference from other broadcasters.
Thus, the potential for a huge fan base.

As the article mentions, "The Cardinals are considered to be
'the Yankees of the National League,' the N.L. franchise with the
most pennants, 15, and the most World Series championships, 9."
Everyone likes a winner.

The Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/14/sports/15ANDE01.html