Infinite vocabulary

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 26 13:28:16 UTC 2000

Here is an interesting and I think novel observation by one of my students.

". . . almost any verb can be paired with almost any noun to mean sexual
intercourse. As long as the context is right, such as 'I think they're' or
'They are' and there is the proper tone, normal everyday verbs and nouns
become synonymous with intercourse such as 'knocking knees,' 'butting heads,'
'planting the flag,' or even something not as obvious like 'logging on' or
'walking the plank' can be used. I feel  that this makes the importance of
context and tone most obvious because of the immense number of words that can
mean the same thing if the context and tone are the same."

It's a commonplace to note the abundance of terms for sexual intercourse (and
drunkenness, to name another), and some collectors have even tried to compile
complete lists; but this is a suggestion that, at least in this category, the
list is infinite. - Allan Metcalf