midtown

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Sep 14 03:00:06 UTC 2000

Alton IL has a "midtown" some 10 blocks up (elevationwise) from downtown.  My guess is
that some businesses were built along a somewhat major artery that went around the
original part of the town and then as houses were built beyond this area it was a
"semi-downtown" in a mid part of the town.  Some of the businesses have 'midtown' in their
names.  I doubt that there would be any inherent collar-color association with the word,
just whatever one finds in the socio-cultural idio-geography of the community that has
down-/mid-/up-towns.
DMLance