p-book

Paul McFedries lists at MCFEDRIES.COM
Thu Sep 14 17:43:33 UTC 2000

As soon as I sent out the "p-book" post this morning, I immediately realized
that I should have been a bit more nuanced in my argument. That is, instead
of saying that *all* instances of "book" without a modifier will be
confusing, I should have said that "book" without a modifier will be
confusing *in certain situations*.

For example, if in a few years someone says to you "Read any good books
lately?", it won't matter whether it's a p-book or an e-book. There's no
ambiguity because, presumably, good books will come in both varieties.

However, if someone says to you "What's the Amazon.com price of Frank
McCourt's lastest book?", you may have to ask "The p-book or the e-book?" if
the price is different. It's in these cases where p-book (or whatever; I've
alse seen "p & g book", where "p & g" is paper and glue, I think) will be a
useful noun.

Speaking of new words, we need one for that feeling you get when you send
out an email and immediately realize you made a mistake or should have
changed something. "L'esprit d'escalier" and "tintiddle" don't seem quite
right. Any candidates?

Paul