p-book

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Sep 14 20:10:54 UTC 2000

Before you think I'm just pshawing you, Paul, I'd add that after reading
this response I believe that we hold a very similar position on the "x-book"
phenomenon.  I do think "book" is going to be around a long time, but I
would agree with you that in terms of format, folks are going to have more
and more choices to make.  I agree that they'll be using p- or e- or p & g
(which I really like) to voice those distinctions.

> From: Paul McFedries <lists at MCFEDRIES.COM>
>
> For example, if in a few years someone says to you "Read any good books
> lately?", it won't matter whether it's a p-book or an e-book. There's no
> ambiguity because, presumably, good books will come in both varieties.
>
> However, if someone says to you "What's the Amazon.com price of Frank
> McCourt's lastest book?", you may have to ask "The p-book or the e-book?" if
> the price is different. It's in these cases where p-book (or whatever; I've
> alse seen "p & g book", where "p & g" is paper and glue, I think) will be a
> useful noun.

As for that sinking feeling:

> Speaking of new words, we need one for that feeling you get when you send
> out an email and immediately realize you made a mistake or should have
> changed something. "L'esprit d'escalier" and "tintiddle" don't seem quite
> right. Any candidates?

I have seen on some list of e-mail argot the term "uh-oh-second," which is
that feeling that one gets immediately after hitting the send button for a
message that wasn't quite ready to go, or even better, when one sees a
mistake just as the message leaves the screen as it has been sent.

cheers, bob