Boody

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Sep 27 15:11:50 UTC 2000

>"My boody and my cookie and my titi hurt."

I don't know 'cookie' or 'titi' but in my boyhood 'boody'/'booty' was an
exact equivalent of 'ass': e.g., "I got a piece of boody", "I'll kick your
boody", "Up your boody", etc., etc. -- that is, with the sense of
'vulva'/'sex' as well as that of 'buttocks'/'anus'. I always assumed this
was a corruption of 'body'. It's still current, but I'm not sure of the
exact sense usually. The song says "Shake your boody", doesn't it? What is
it -- precisely -- that one is being encouraged to shake?

The word appears in Chapman's dictionary and in Spears'. Perhaps it is
largely a 'black' word as Chapman indicates.

-- Doug Wilson