Unsignalized; Mad Cow Disease

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 1 14:27:54 UTC 2001

In a message dated 03/31/2001 11:36:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Ittaob at AOL.COM writes:

> Rather than "unsignalized" or even "unsignaled", wouldn't "no traffic lights
>  at crossings, next 3 miles" convey the thought much more clearly and
>  succinctly?

Yes, I think you are right.  However, since traffic signs are designed for
easy AND quick comprehension by a driver who should be keeping his eyes on
the road, the sign should probably read

     NO LIGHTS AT XINGS
     NEXT 3 MILES

Also, one I left out of my original posting.  In New Brunswick, on College
Avenue (which is correctly named; it runs through the College Avenue campus
of Rutgers University), there is a sign reading

    RANDOM PED XINGS

(meaning that pedestrians are likely to be crossing the street other than at
marked crosswalks).

     - Jim Landau

P.S. I once read about a highway department which was wondering whether
people actually read highway signs, so they allegedly posted a sign reading

       PASS WITH CAR

and apparently nobody noticed.