Tom Swiftly (1963)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 1 22:24:50 UTC 2001

TOM SWIFTLY

   We had discussed Tom Swiftys (swifties?) on ADS-L before.  See the old archives.  The thing was popularlized by the late Willard Espy.
   I can't find an early first citation.
   From THIS WEEK magazine, 23 June 1963, pg. 14, col. 2:

CHARLIE RICE'S PUNCHBOWL
_Tom Swift and His Wacky Word Game_
   HAS THE GAME of "Tom Swiftly" hit your town yet?  Better brace yourself, because it will soon!
   A "Tom Swiftly" is a nutty kind of pun involving a double-meaning adverb.  The game is supposed to have started in Minneapolis and is spreading throughout the nation.  Examples:

"You're as beautiful as the Venus de Milo," said Tom _disarmingly_.
"Anyone for hookey?" asked Tom _puckishly_.
"I'm frozen," said Tom _stiffly_.

   Readers who remember the famous series of Tom Swift books may get the idea.  But for younger readers, I must explain more fully.  Tom Swift, the boy wonder who built dirigibles, submarines, giant balloons and racing cars capable of 100 miles an hour (think of it!)--Tom was not a boy who simply _said_ something.  He always said something with an adverb:

"I will not be a party to your base scheme!" cried Tom _indignantly_.
"I cannot take full credit for this invention," said Tom _modestly_.

   Thus the "Tom Swiftly" puns were born, and they're flying all over the place right now.  In the past week I've heard about fifty, among which I particularly cherish...  (Two more columns--ed.)