clones (was: "Don't call us, we'll call you" (1963))

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Apr 2 02:17:14 UTC 2001

    "job job"?--Was this ever more than a slightly used construction?
FWIW, two thoughts come to mind here:
1) We may deal with an expression that originated with small
children, for whom reduplication is common. A small child might have
asked his/her father if he was leaving "for his job job." And then
the parents might have affectionately adopted the children's
reduplicated term. (Cf. parents' adopting of children's mangled
versions of their own names or the names of siblings, to be used
affectionately as nicknames.)
2) "job job" sounds very close to "John John," President Kennedy's
son (so called as a small child).  Any possible influence here? Is
"job job" pretty much isolated?

---Gerald Cohen