Query about address

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Apr 2 14:01:30 UTC 2001

Here's an example from a Charles W. Chesnutt story, "Po' Sandy" (1888):

Sandy, a slave, is lent by his owner, Marrabo ["Marlborough"?] McSwayne, to
various relatives (presumably also named McSwayne?), and he complains:

"'I'm gittin monstus ti'ed er dish yer gwine roun' so much. Here I is lent
ter Mars Jeems dis mont', en I got ter do so-en-so; en ter Mars Archie de
nex' mont', en I got ter do so-en-so; den I got ter go ter Miss Jinnie's:
en hit's Sandy dis en Sandy dat, en Sandy yer en Sandy dere, tel it 'pears
ter me I am' got no home ...."

My translation: "I'm getting monstrous tired of this here going around so
much. Here I is lent to Master James this month, and I got to do so-and-so;
and to Master Archie the next month, and I got to do so-and-so; then I got
to go to Miss Jinnie's; and it's Sandy this and Sandy that, and Sandy here
and Sandy there, till it appears to me I ain't got no home ...."

This is just something I happened to be reading lately. I don't claim any
expertise.

-- Doug Wilson