free variation in pronunciation

Buchmann buchmann at BELLSOUTH.NET
Mon Apr 2 19:33:00 UTC 2001

First of all there's the OLD joke:
A linguist asked a Scot if he used "eether" or "eyether."
The Scot replied "Ehther will doo."

THEN, there's my family usage
[over the last half century anyway] :
"Eether A or B is OK."
"You may use eyether A or B (but nothing else)."

"Neether product is very good."
"Neyether man can be trusted."

In MY usage the VARIATION IS NOT FREE.

    [ There is also a tendency to contrast with
similar vowels elsewhere in a construction.]
THIS might lead to an impression of free variation.

I have found the pron. to be CLASS, LOCALITY, and USAGE  specific.
I have NEVER heard free variation in the U.S.    I am too far removed in
time and space from today's British to have even an inkling. I do not
remember ever hearing "eyether" used by an American ( or American
character )  on TV -- I think such usage would have startled me into
attention, but some of us do use it naturally and without affectation.
[ Though "eyether" has, to a great extent, been presented as an
affectation in American movies.]