Forms of Address

Buchmann buchmann at BELLSOUTH.NET
Mon Apr 2 20:14:03 UTC 2001

SOCIAL DISTANCE [ such as the Southern use of "Sir" to put someone
in his place ] does play a part sometimes, but one misses the point entirely
by postulating that it must.  "Miss Lizzy" COULD be a title of generational
respect  or simply a differentiating title of NORMAL formality. When I
went to college in the South [ in the sixties ] I was addressed as "Mr.
SURNAME." [ I still dislike my first name being used by anyone but old
friends and family.] Anyone who understands the traditional dichotomies
tu/vous; du/Sie; tu/Usted; etc., etc., etc. should have no trouble with the
Southern use of "Miss" with an unmarried woman's first name -- it  WAS,
purely and simply, 'polite form.' "Et je dit 'vous' a ma mere!"