"schlo[r|n]ger" redux

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon Apr 2 20:22:04 UTC 2001

We recently had a discussion about the word "schlorger," a possible
misreading for "schlonger," in an 1865 letter from a Union soldier,
cited in T. P. Lowry's _The Story the Soldiers Wouldn't Tell._

I wanted to let those following at home know that I've been in
touch with Dr. Lowry, and he is unsure of the exact source of the
passage (astute readers may have noticed that that letter is not
footnoted, though the previous and following ones are). He is
following up a few possibilities and will be in touch again when
he has more to report.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED