Generation D

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon Apr 2 20:55:32 UTC 2001

Bruce Dykes <bkd at GRAPHNET.COM> writes:

From: "TERRY IRONS" <t.irons at MOREHEAD-ST.EDU>

> A current ad for WorldCom uses the phrase Generation D.  Is this simply
> an ad/pr slogan, or does the phrase have any currency in use?

No. Strictly an ad/pr thing.

But this does bring up the question of "generation+(single letter)"

I think the oldest example I've seen is Billy Idol's old band, Generation
X...that's late 70's/early 80's...that was adopted for the kids who are now
late 20's/early 30's, while the next batch of teen spenders was
unimaginatively labeled generation Y...and now the most recent example
outside of the Worldcom ads is 'Generation O', a cartoon about a band
named,
well, Generation O, after their lead singer, a young girl named Molly O.
<<<<<

I've seen "Generation Ñ" (that's capital N with a tilde) for, apparently,
the current late-teens and early-twenties generation of iirc one of the
Hispanic-American ethnic groups. I thought I'd posted it here, but the
archives show nothing. I think I sent it to my daughter, but I can't find
it in that mailbox either.

-- Mark