[Fwd: [Fwd: a publishing dilemma]]

nathan & joanne kantrowitz kant1 at RCNCHICAGO.COM
Wed Apr 4 01:19:41 UTC 2001

Following Allan Metcalf's suggestion, I am sending the following inquiry
to the ADS list serve.  I will be pleased to receive your communications
on this dilemma.  Joanne Spencer Kantrowitz, Ph.D., Chicago, 1967

-------- Original Message --------
     Subject: [Fwd: a publishing dilemma]
        Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 20:02:27 -0500
        From: nathan & joanne kantrowitz <kant1 at rcnchicago.com>
          To: joanne kantrowitz <kant1 at rcnchicago.com>

-------- Original Message --------
     Subject: a publishing dilemma
        Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:52:31 -0600
        From: nathan & joanne kantrowitz <kant1 at rcnchicago.com>
          To: AAllan at aol.com

Dear Professor Metcalf,
We have had the strange experience recently of meeting a prison language
research professor who had been searching for our study in vain.  That
is/was Stateville Names which was cited by McDavid and Maurer in their
revision of Mencken, was supposed to be published by PADS around 1965
and then was shot down over fear of right-wing attack and threat to the
first federal grant forthcoming for Cassidy's dictionary. The Ms. was
the first full study of prison language as collected in Stateville
Penitentiary and, of necessity, contained much maladiction.   The Ms.
languished with a small publisher who went defunct after losing tenure
in the 70's.  In disgust, we laid the book aside.
One portion of it was published by Alan Dundes in his Mother Wit
anthology.  In other words, the work has been footnoted, listed in
bibliographies (?), but no one had access to it because it was never
published.  Two copies exist in typescript:  one is deposited with the
papers of David W. Maurer at the University of Louisville; the other is
with the Chicago Historical Society in the Stateville Papers of Nathan
Kantrowitz.
Whether this is worth posting on the web or listed with an on-demand
publisher, I haven't the slightest idea.  Perhaps, for the sake of
future scholars (few though they may be), the locations of the ms.
should be published somewhere in the journals of ADS.  What do you think
of that suggestion?
Each of us went on to publish other sorts of things in other sorts of
media, but we never returned to the linguistic group after the deaths of
Raven and Dave who were our chief contacts and friends, albeit powerless
in the face of Cassidy's concerns.  Do you by any chance have an e-mail
address for Alan Dundes?  His book is still in print, but I would like
to correct his description of my work.  (I was not a faculty wife!).
For a rather amusing essay detailing who we are, you might consult
Nathan Kantrowitz's
1990 book, Close Control.
Best wishes,

Joanne Spencer Kantrowitz